Wednesday 22 February 2012

Chethana's Great Adventures at Tsitsikama Falls


Okay, before I start on my adventures at Tsitsikama Falls, I want to say a couple things. Firstly, I'm super excited that my blog's been up two days and I've had 79 views already! Not quite sure who's reading about me from Germany & Canada but alright. Also, please leave me comments! I'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve my blog (this is the first time I've done anything like this) or even just reactions =]

Chethana’s Great Adventures at Tsitsikama Falls

By the second weekend I was here, everyone had moved in. NMMU planned the Tsitsikama Falls guesthouse as part of our orientation weekend. When you drive about an hour from Annie’s Cove in Summerstrand, past the city and past the poor townships, you come across wilder terrain. Other than roads and an occasional tiny clustering of houses, there’s nothing but the coast and lush vegetation. Somewhere in the middle of this (not quite sure of the name of the city), there’s a huge guesthouse with supporting buildings on the outskirts of a forest: Tsitsikama Falls Guesthouse. There were about 120 of us staying in this guesthouse for the weekend orientation. The guesthouse had 4 huge bedrooms with lots of bunk beds to accommodate all of us and a huge communal hall to eat and have other activities in. Outside the guesthouse, there is a huge lawn and beyond that trails leading into the forest to the waterfalls, rivers, and other beautiful sights. The stay at the guesthouse was quite enjoyable save the food. I met too many international students to recall all their names. During the day, we’d hike and sunbathe outside and during the night we’d play cards and dance. It was more of a ‘get to know the international students’ rather than an orientation but I absolutely loved it. Below are some pictures of the beautiful area.








I also learned to play drums! I’m quite bad at keeping a beat but somehow I managed along.




Oh yes, before I forget, I should mention that I went ziplining here! On Saturday afternoon, we were broken into three groups of 30 or so and sent to get our equipment on and head out to the trail of ziplines. Below is a picture of a few of my friends and me with our bulky and awkward to walk in ziplining equipment:


Then came the scary part for me: the actual ziplining. I watched about 10 students go before me hoping that would appease my fear a little. Unfortunately, it did nothing. When the guy in charge hooked me to the line, I was horribly confused as to what to do. I asked him how to break, when to break, what to do if I got stuck, the possibility of me falling etc. Thankfully, he was very friendly and the other students were all very reassuring. It still took me another 10 minutes to go off. I was terrified to push off the edge of the cliff with huge drop with nothing to trust but a hook on a line. Well, I was pushed off and when I was finally ziplining, I had a terrific time! We started off with some easy ones over trees and other vegetation. My favorites were the lines at the end: over the waterfalls! It was absolutely stunning: I was moving over waterfalls and a forest 50 feet above with the mist from the waterfalls on my face and the sun gloriously shining down on me. It was one of the best experiences of my life.




Ofcourse, because it’s me, I was one of the only people the guides have had get stuck on the zipline. Apparently I braked too hard and too far away and had to rope myself in. Although in my defense, I saw a huge boulder coming at me (they say it was a good 4 feet from me but it looked really close to hitting me!) and reflexively braked too early. Even with the 20 minutes longer than the average person to push off on the zipline and getting stuck, I absolutely loved the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.
I have two more posts before my blog becomes up to date! Upcoming posts include visits to the township and the dance there and a post on campus! Hope you guys are enjoying reading this. Feel free to leave me any suggestions as to how I can improve my posts! =]  

4 comments:

  1. God... I wish I could go zip-lining! It sounds like it was quite the experience. How long was the trail? Is Tsitsikama Falls geared towards tourists or is there any other significance to the place? Oh, and did you do any Abseiling by any chance?!

    Love the blog btw, looking forward to the next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsitsikama Falls is a little touristy in the sense that it is mostly foreigners who go there but it's a nice beginning trip to introduce you to South Africa- all the activities and lessons are taught by locals and from the South African perspective. I haven't gone Abseiling but ppl have told me that I can on Table Mountain...I'll have to check it out when I'm in Cape Town! Glad you're liking the blog and thanks for commenting! =]

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time in South Africa, and I'm SO jealous! Was zip-lining scary? There's a place to do it here in Texas, but I'm scared of heights! Did you see any cool animals at Tsitsikama Falls? I'm sure you've made lots of friends by now. Have classes started for you yet? Are you going to be there for the whole year, or just the semester? Ok, far too many questions, I shall read your next post. Stay safe!

    Love,
    Hasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zip lining was scary for me but I'm also a little more chicken than the majority of people. Try ziplining though! It's awesome to view the world from 30-50 feet above. I didn't see cool animals at Tsitsikama but I did at Frontier Farms! (I'm putting up a new post later this week about that). Classes have started and they're pretty easy so far. Just going to be here for the semester and then going to Sri Lanka for the summer. It's a long 8 month journey but I'm sure that by the time the end of Aug rolls around, I'll wonder how the time went by so fast! Glad you're liking my blog! Hope the wedding planning is going well! =]

      Delete